PalmettoTiger

World Trade Center attacked

Two planes crashed into the World Trade Center this morning. NO WAY it could have been an accident - this was a big building in controlled airspace in broad daylight, not a mountain shrouded in clouds.
And Clay, before you open your mouth and smartass about blind pilots or nuking whoever's responsible, say a prayer for everyone involved first.
Update: All the major news websites are unavailable - MSNBC, CNN, FoxNews, ABC, CBS. Turn on your TV or radio instead.

yahoo news is up and has a one liner on it from reuters (reuters itself is not available)
does anyone know what time it happends? before the start of the working day?
---------
Plane Strikes Trade Center, Building Aflame
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A plane struck the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan Tuesday morning, an eyewitness reported.
The building was burning following at least one explosion, a Reuters reporter at the scene said
Remi
Muff 914

Just before 10:00 am this morning (eastern time) I believe. I was just talking to my Mom and she said she was watching Good Morning America, and just as it was getting ready to go off, they came on with the news about the first plane. While cameras were getting that, she actually saw the second plane hit the second tower. She said it circled around to obviously miss the first and hit the second.
A prayer for everyone. I hear they are shutting down everything in NY basically right now...planes of course, government buildings and such. I hope this is the end of it too...that these attacks aren't planned for the entire nation.
Hemp/skydiving jewelry pics!

From Sky news
Two planes have smashed into the World Trade Centre towers in New York in what is being described as the worst terrorist attack in history.
It is reported two United Airlines passenger planes were hijacked shortly before the strike - one was thought to be a 737 capable of carrying more than 100 passengers. Another is believed to be a Boeing 767 taken from Boston airport, the FBI said. A 767 can carrying up to 269 people. The first plane smashed into the top stories of the tower, leaving two gaping holes in the side. Minutes later another aircraft approached, turned in the air and crashed into the lower storeys of the second tower - the footage was seen live on TV stations around the world. The second explosion ripped through several floors. More than 50,000 workers would have been in the building at the height of the morning rush-hour. A person who answered the phone on the trading floor at interdealer-broker Cantor Fitzgerald, located near the top of the World Trade Center, said: "We're dying," then hung up. There was screaming and yelling in the background. A follow up call was not answered. If confirmed as a terrorist attack it would be one of the worst in history. "This has got to be one of the most horrendous terrorist attacks perhaps ever perpetrated," terrorism expert Chris Yates told Sky News. At least 1,000 people have been reported injured. The 110-storey 1,360ft tower is in lower Manhattan. In February 1993 six people died when a truck bomb was planted in the twin tower's underground car park in a terrorist attack. More follows .
Remi
Muff 914

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/
'Terrorists strike' at heart of US
• Two planes crash into World Trade Centre
• Pentagon on fire after third attack
• Hundreds feared dead
Staff and agencies
Tuesday September 11, 2001
Hundreds of people are feared dead and 1,000 are reported injured after two planes crashed into the World Trade Centre tower in the heart of New York's financial district in what US officials have called a terrorist attack. In another incident, a rocket is said to have hit the Pentagon in Washington DC.
It has been reported that the FBI was investigating reports of plane hijacking before the two crashes. No group has accepted responsibility for the incidents.
The Pentagon is said to be on fire, and the White House is being evacuated.
The US president, George Bush, is returning to Washington and has convened a national security meeting. He said the explosions were an "apparent terrorist attack" and said "terrorism against our nation will not stand".
Bridges and tunnels in New York have been closed amid fears of further attacks.
Television reports shortly after the crashes said that at least six people had been killed, but the final death toll is likely to be far higher. The building, the tallest in New York, is a popular tourist attraction which houses financial services companies and the attack occurred at 9am (2pm BST) when employees and tourists would have already arrived at the building. It is thought that the aircraft were passenger planes, and one is believed to be an American Airlines Boeing 767 flying rom Boston.
The first aircraft crashed into one of the towers shortly before 9am (2pm BST).
Smoke billowed out of a gaping hole in the 110-storey tower, which was damaged on at least two sides.
Just 18 minutes after the initial explosion there was a second blast as another plane hit the other tower. Flames shot out of the side of the building and debris rained down.
A witness to the first explosion, Jeanne Yurman, said she heard a sonic boom then looked out of her window to see an explosion.
"I looked out and the side of the World Trade Centre exploded as I looked up. Debris started sailing down, I couldn't believe what was happening," she said.
Another witness, Todd Harris, who saw the second explosion said that it looked like the second plane was lining itself up to hit the building.
Thousands of pieces of what appeared to be office paper came drifting over Brooklyn, about three miles from the tower, another witness said.
James Winter, 30, a British worker living in an apartment close to the centre, said he had been woken by a huge bang at around 8.50am local time.
"I was in bed and there was a huge explosion. The whole building rattled and shook," he said.
"I ran to the window and there was smoke billowing from the south side of one of the towers. Everyone in my building was panicking and running around."
The Centre was bombed in February 1993, killing six people and injuring more than 1,000 others.
No group has yet admitted responsibilty for the attack.
Remi
Muff 914

TV reports indicate it happened around 8:30 this morning. The people who work in the Trade Towers would most definitely have been there by 8:30. Both towers have been hit, and the southern one has just collapsed. The news choppers covering the first airplane crash recorded, from several different angles, the second jet crashing. No possibility of it being anything but intentional.
TV cameras in DC are also showing a fire at the Pentagon, with eyewitness reports of a plane coming in low from the south and deliberately crashing into the Pentagon.

That's the problem. What were these wackos thinking? Typically the US responds to things like this by bombing the shit out of someone. Problem is, this is probably the work of a small group of terrorist wackos & you can't rightfully bomb a whole country for that.
Speed Racer
"Come up to my lab,
And see what's on the slab!"

It's so horrible it's surreal. I went to bed early (in Aust.), and just woke up about 15 minutes ago and went downstairs, where I'd left the tv on, to see pictures of smoke billowing from one world trade centre building, and was thinking WTF? I couldn't work out what was happening, didn't even notice there was only one of the towers there. It's just too terrible.
Condolances to anyone who has lost someone, to the people who lost their lives.
Has anyone claimed responsibility yet?
Larissa

All aircraft accross the country are grounded...
bummer, guess we can't jump today
...back to work...

Hundreds of people are Dead and injured along with hundreds of thousands of my brothers and sisters helping these injured and you have the fucking nerve to say "bummer, guess we cant jump today"
Lew get a fucking life!!!!!!!!!!
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth